American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 4 of 4
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Renehan talks about Mission/H Ferry - John Brown started to see himself as a vehicle, Mission - vehicle to get issue of slavery to a boil, Character - John Brown enigmatic, conflicted support for , Carpetbag letters/Vindication of Raid - Carpetbag letters - not an accident they were left, John Brown knew he would fail, Trial/Hanging/Redpath - Brown mythologized, Boston - extraordinary times create extraordinary bedfellows, Martyr - death his biggest success, icon
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 4 of 4
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Renehan, Edward J. (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 4 of 4,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 16, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F1403FCC4B1E4F6EA6E64659317C551D.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 4 of 4.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 16, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F1403FCC4B1E4F6EA6E64659317C551D>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 4 of 4. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F1403FCC4B1E4F6EA6E64659317C551D