American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 3 of 4
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Renehan talks about Pottawatomie - both sides of war in Kansas outraged, Pottawatomie - John Brown had to lie about his complicity, Pottawatomie - afterwards, John Brown enjoys being a renegade, Black Jack - story of "battle", Boston/Sanborn, John Brown Speech - Bible and Dec. of Independence most imp documents, Boston/Revolution/Dec of Independence - right audience, Boston/Revolution/Dec of Independence - "2nd revolution" , Boston/Secret Six - Brown a device for more involvement, Mrs. Russell - thought John Brown enjoyed making rich uncomfortable, Mrs. Russell - John Brown's weapons, dramatized himself, Mrs. Russell - gross food stories @ dinner table , Secret Six - John Brown made it duty not favor for them to give him mone, Parlor chairs - story , Secret Six - save Higginson, thought plan doomed but worthwhile
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 3 of 4
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Renehan, Edward J. (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 3 of 4,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 23, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5EC36529AB784C20BCD98CE89B6925F4.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 3 of 4.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 23, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5EC36529AB784C20BCD98CE89B6925F4>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Edward J. Renehan, 3 of 4. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5EC36529AB784C20BCD98CE89B6925F4