American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, extra scenes, 1973 [Part 2 of 2]
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
Two cops drag long-haired youth off. Other cops rather pugnacious towards demonstrators. Buildings in background of shots give good Washington atmosphere (some lousy scratches on this section). Speaker approaches same podium as McCloskey at demonstration, begins to speak: "Many of you remember Abraham Heschel, who died a couple of days I got out of prison...he tells a little story" (film cuts out rest of this speech). More scenes of the demonstration: "Stop -all bombing / -the war" sign carried by marchers. Rapid zoom in and out on "End the war NOW" sign. Shots of riot police and demonstrators. Member of crowd facing a line of police across the street pats dog. Marchers carry flag into crowd. Crowd cheers (screams?) louder.
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- American Experience
- Program Number
Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, extra scenes, 1973 [Part 2 of 2]
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--United States
- United States--Politics and government
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Peace
- Washington (D.C.)
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Inauguration day
- Government, Resistance to
- Washington, DC
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, extra scenes, 1973 [Part 2 of 2],” 01/20/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 17, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_02022773CAC442E9B2E58AC5F9271C9E.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, extra scenes, 1973 [Part 2 of 2].” 01/20/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 17, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_02022773CAC442E9B2E58AC5F9271C9E>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, extra scenes, 1973 [Part 2 of 2]. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_02022773CAC442E9B2E58AC5F9271C9E