American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, 1973 [Part 1 of 2]
Part of The Vietnam Collection.
Anti War Demonstrations at Nixon's inauguration. 1) Senator McCloskey speech at huge anti-war rally following inaugural parade. Medium close shot against trees: "What it has meant for every individual who protested, every person who persuaded a neighbor to read the Geneva Accord or learn the history and beauty of the Vietnamese people - not just the well known: Wayne Morse, the Berrigan brothers, Daniel Ellsberg who said he'd go to jail... Allard Lowenstein, Clark Clifford, Tip O'Neill... who persuaded LBJ this war was wrong... the mothers for peace, the POW wives who asked for an end to our involvement... but the final victory of the return of conscience is really due to millions of small individual Americans whose voice has risen to an unmistakable cry... " WS speakers platform with banner: "Stop the Bombing NOW. End the War NOW." Pete Seeger with banjo and other singers singing and playing. "If I had a hammer..." 2) In downtown Washington streets, crowd and chant vaguely heard: "1-2-3-4. we don't want this fucking war." More atmospheric than specific. Phalanx of riot cops moving in line towards camera. Wide shot, hundreds gathered on hillside for rally, good banners, visible "STOP all the bombing, the war" 3) Telephoto shot as cops ride toward crowd in open area (red / orange glow). Close shot, Demonstrators in street shaking fists. More of cops, close shot, white riot helmets. Scene getting unruly. Demonstrators with US flags. Two cops drag long-haired youth off. Other cops rather pugnacious towards demonstrators. Buildings in background of shots give good Washington atmosphere (some lousy scratches on this section). Speaker approaches same podium as McCloskey at demonstration, begins to speak.
- American Experience
- Program Number
Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, 1973 [Part 1 of 2]
- Series Description
Premiered October 1988 As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award. Series release date: 10/1988
- Program Description
In this three-hour presentation, Richard Nixon's life and political career are reassessed primarily by those who knew him best. The program chronicles his life from boyhood in Yorba Linda, California, through his days as a young Congressman to his presidency where he astounded the nation with his foreign policy initiatives and then left office in disgrace.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Politics and war
- O'Neill, Tip
- Geneva Conference (1954)
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Ellsberg, Daniel
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Watergate Affair, 1972-1974
- McCloskey, Paul N., 1927-
- Morse, Wayne L. (Wayne Lyman), 1900-1974
- Inauguration Day
- United States--History--1945-
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975--Protest movements--United States
- Clifford, Clark M., 1906-1998
- United States--Politics and government
- Lowenstein, Allard K.
- Riot control
- Vietnam (Republic)
- Vietnam (Democratic Republic)
- Washington (D.C.)
- Political stability
- Washington, DC
- McCloskey, Paul N., 1927- (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- ABC News VideoSource
- Rights Summary
Footage courtesy of ABC News Rights Holder: ABC News VideoSource (http://abcnews.go.com)
- Chicago: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, 1973 [Part 1 of 2],” 01/20/1973, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed February 27, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5813156F2D7F46D2A4480255E352E329.
- MLA: “American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, 1973 [Part 1 of 2].” 01/20/1973. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. February 27, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5813156F2D7F46D2A4480255E352E329>.
- APA: American Experience; Nixon; Nixon inauguration - Vietnam protest, 1973 [Part 1 of 2]. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5813156F2D7F46D2A4480255E352E329