March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 6 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Sixth of fifteen hours of broadcast: 1:58:30 P.M. - 3 P.M. A. Philip Randolph introduces the program, "Pass the bill" chant, Daisy Bates, Marion Anderson sings, John Lewis, and message from Farmer read, and the Eva Jessye Choir performs.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 6 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- Civil rights
- Imprisonment--United States
- Civil rights movement
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Labor leaders--United States--1960-1970
- Race--Religious aspects--Christianity
- Discrimination in employment--United States--History--20th century
- Farmer, James, 1920-
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Bates, Daisy (Speaker)
- Anderson, Marion (Musician)
- Randolph, A. Philip (Speaker)
- Lewis, John (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 6 of 17,” 08/28/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 21, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_CB387942466C46F6BAE6528BAFD53055.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 6 of 17.” 08/28/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 21, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_CB387942466C46F6BAE6528BAFD53055>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 6 of 17. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_CB387942466C46F6BAE6528BAFD53055