March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 7 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom Seventh of fifteen hours of broadcast: 2:58:30 P.M. - 3:56:00 P.M. Whitney Young, Roy Wilkins, Mahalia Jackson, Rabbi Prinz, and the introduction to Martin Luther King Jr.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 7 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- National Urban League
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Civil rights movement
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Civil rights
- American Jewish Congress
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Prinz, Joachim (Speaker)
- Jackson, Mahalia (Speaker)
- Young, Whitney M. (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 7 of 17,” 08/28/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 16, 2018, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_FDC80454052747988DEA7F89F4D23B9F.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 7 of 17.” 08/28/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 16, 2018. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_FDC80454052747988DEA7F89F4D23B9F>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 7 of 17. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_FDC80454052747988DEA7F89F4D23B9F