March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 9 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom Ninth of fifteen hours of broadcast: 4:30 P.M. - 5:30 P.M. Demonstrators leaving, clean-up logistics, singing, Bayard Rustin/Demands, A. Philip Randolph/Pledge, James Farmers taped comments, Sen. Hubert Humphrey, reports of food poisoning.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 9 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- Civil rights movement
- National Community Relations Advisory Council (U.S.)
- Political prisoners--United States--Interviews
- Civil rights
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Rustin, Bayard (Speaker)
- Randolph, A. Philip (Speaker)
- Farmer, James (Speaker)
- Humphrey, Hubert (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 9 of 17,” 08/28/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed October 17, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_A014C398246A48308919615DE8676DFC.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 9 of 17.” 08/28/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. October 17, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_A014C398246A48308919615DE8676DFC>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 9 of 17. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_A014C398246A48308919615DE8676DFC