March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 4 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. Fourth of fifteen hours of broadcast: 11:58 A.M. - 1 P.M. Reports of the actual March.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 4 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Race relations--Religious aspects--Christianity
- Civil rights
- Thomas, Norman, 1884-1968
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Demonstrations--Press coverage--United States
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- Civil rights movement
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- New York (N.Y.)--Officials and employees
- Wilkins, Roy, 1901-1981
- Socialists--United States
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Volpe, John A.
- African American celebrities
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Rowe, Joyce (Speaker)
- Kirschenbaum, Walter (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 4 of 17,” 08/28/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed January 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_57089C9A5AB042F3A6E5C0538CEB5B94.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 4 of 17.” 08/28/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. January 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_57089C9A5AB042F3A6E5C0538CEB5B94>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 4 of 17. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_57089C9A5AB042F3A6E5C0538CEB5B94