March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 3 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom Third of fifteen hours of broadcast: 11 A.M. - 12 AM. Performers include: Bob Dylan, Bayard Rustin, Lena Horne, and Peter Paul & Mary. Segment also includes President Kennedy and Jackie Robinson. Includes President Kennedy Press Conference clips, and the marchers setting off.
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 3 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American celebrities
- Roller skating
- Civil rights
- African American baseball players
- High school teachers--Political activity
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Demonstrations--Law and legislation--United States
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- Civil rights demonstrations--Alabama--Birmingham
- Presidents--Press conferences
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Civil rights movement
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Travers, Mary (Musician)
- Stookey, Noel Paul (Musician)
- Horne, Lena (Musician)
- Robinson, Jack Roosevelt (Speaker)
- Rustin, Bayard (Speaker)
- Dylan, Bob (Musician)
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald) (Speaker)
- Yarrow, Peter (Musician)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 3 of 17,” 08/28/1963, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed November 21, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_4EAE64C68E844525B38B029E9A00F154.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 3 of 17.” 08/28/1963. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. November 21, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_4EAE64C68E844525B38B029E9A00F154>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 3 of 17. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_4EAE64C68E844525B38B029E9A00F154