FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei; FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei
Part of Stories of East and South East Asia.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei
- Program Number
FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei
- Series Description
FRONTLINE is investigative journalism that questions, explains and changes our world. Since 1983, FRONTLINE has served as PBS's flagship public affairs series. Hailed upon its television broadcast debut as "the last best hope for broadcast documentaries," FRONTLINE's stature is reaffirmed each week through incisive documentaries covering the scope and complexity of the human experience.
- Program Description
Money and March Madness, Correspondent Lowell Bergman FRONTLINE continues its new monthly magazine program with the lead story “Money and March Madness,” an inside look at the multi-billion dollar business of the NCAA and its brand of amateur college sports. In this investigation, correspondent Lowell Bergman gains access to Sonny Vaccaro, a former marketing executive at Nike, Adidas, and Reebok who helped bring about the rapid commercialization of college basketball. Vaccaro’s success made coaches, administrators, and companies rich. But the players remain at the mercy of the NCAA, which, despite a new $10.8 billion contract for its basketball tournament, has continued to insist that the athletes don't get paid. Now, Vaccaro has left the business world and he’s spearheading a class-action lawsuit that aims to ensure that players get a piece of the action.
Produced in association with the Investigative Reporting Program at the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
A FRONTLINE Production with Cam Bay Productions
Who's Afraid of Ai Weiwei, Reporter Alison Klayman Also in this newsmagazine hour: An intimate portrait of a man who’s sometimes called China’s Andy Warhol—Ai Weiwei. He’s a global art star who’s now using his international renown, along with a video camera and a growing underground Twitter following, to push the boundaries of freedom in today’s China.
A Never Sorry, LLC production for WGBH/FRONTLINE
The Private Life of Bradley Manning, Correspondent Martin Smith Later in the hour, as the fall-out from WikiLeak’s continues, an exclusive interview with Private Bradley Manning's father, who speaks out for the first time about his son's upbringing and troubled youth, Manning's time in the Army, and why he still believes his son did not hand over the largest cache ever of classified documents to the whistle-blowing site.
A FRONTLINE Production with RAINmedia
Marketing Kiehl Frazier- A Web Exclusive Segment by Caitlin McNally For this ambitious young quarterback, it's not just about putting up numbers on the field. You would think a star high school quarterback on the cusp of a big time college career would operate with a certain amount of swagger. But that's not the Kiehl Frazier I got to know. Kiehl is a quiet, focused young man, often looking down to check Facebook on his phone when he's bored of the adults around him raving about him all the time. He handles reporters' questions with studied maturity, the right amount of sports clichés, and a good dose of bemused distance.
A FRONTLINE production with Ark Media
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Politics and Government
- Protest and Public Advocacy
- Peoples of East Asia
- Fine Arts
- Global Affairs
- Social Issues
- Klayman, Alison (Reporter)
- Fanning, David (Executive Producer)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei; FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei,” GBH Archives, accessed February 23, 2024, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FCBD3481794347A3AE3F372D2D82BA73.
- MLA: “FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei; FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei.” GBH Archives. Web. February 23, 2024. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FCBD3481794347A3AE3F372D2D82BA73>.
- APA: FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei; FRONTLINE; Money and March Madness; Who’s Afraid of Ai Weiwei. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_FCBD3481794347A3AE3F372D2D82BA73