Ten O'Clock News; Kiku Adatto on Jesse Jackson
Christopher Lydon interviews cultural historian Kiku Adatto (Harvard University) about Jesse Jackson as a presidential candidate. Lydon's interview with Adatto is accompanied by footage of Jackson throughout his political career. The footage illustrates Jackson's dynamic style of speaking. Adatto notes that Jackson is a religious figure in the political arena. She notes that Jackson's energy and moral fervor are more suited to a preacher than a politician. She says that Jackson's strength lies in his ability to articulate social criticism. Adatto says that many voters see Jackson as an outsider or a social critic instead of as a politician; she adds that some voters may not be able to envision him as president. Lydon's report also includes footage of Martin Luther King, Jr. (American civil rights leader) and Andrew Young (Mayor of Atlanta).
- Ten O'Clock News
Kiku Adatto on Jesse Jackson
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Political campaigns
- African American politicians
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968
- Young, Andrew, 1932-
- African American religious leaders
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- News Report
- Lydon, Christopher (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Kiku Adatto on Jesse Jackson,” 10/16/1987, GBH Archives, accessed November 29, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F6C7401180BD4CBFB5D3477F722ADD61.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Kiku Adatto on Jesse Jackson.” 10/16/1987. GBH Archives. Web. November 29, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F6C7401180BD4CBFB5D3477F722ADD61>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Kiku Adatto on Jesse Jackson. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F6C7401180BD4CBFB5D3477F722ADD61