War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Pershings Destroyed
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
First destruction of Pershing missile rocket engines at Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant, Karnack, TX following INF Treaty, which called for their elimination. International press crews, satellite news trucks, Soviet inspectors and close ups of their badges, Vice President Bush motorcade, Bush looking through binoculars at missile firing structure. Pershing II engine fired, Pershing IA engine fired. Statements by Army Brigadier General Roland Lajoie, Secretary of the Army John O. Marsh, Jr., and Vice President George Bush. Spent engine case crushed by a hydraulic compactor, piece presented to Vice President. Statement by Chief Soviet Inspector Col. Nikolai Chabalin, through interpreter, followed by questions from press. Shots of crushed engine casing, Longhorn gate.
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Nuclear weapons
- Soviet Union. Treaties, etc. United States, 1987 December 8
- Nuclear arms control
- INF Treaty
- Cold War
- Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant (U.S.)
- Pershing (Missile)
- Global Affairs
- War and Conflict
- Marsh, John O., 1926- (Speaker)
- Bush, George, 1924- (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Pershings Destroyed,” 09/08/1988, GBH Archives, accessed February 27, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F5C17A2BE1304F038D56D81FBE0DA898.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Pershings Destroyed.” 09/08/1988. GBH Archives. Web. February 27, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F5C17A2BE1304F038D56D81FBE0DA898>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Pershings Destroyed. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F5C17A2BE1304F038D56D81FBE0DA898