Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Battle of Ideas, The
Packaged Master ; NOLA: COHE 101K
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy
- Battle of Ideas, The
- Program Number
- Series Description
Filmed over the course of two years on five continents, COMMANDING HEIGHTS: THE BATTLE FOR THE WORLD ECONOMY is the first in-depth documentary that tells the inside story of our new global economy and what it means for individuals around the world. Narrated by David Ogden Stiers, explores the new reality, new rules, and new winners and losers in the battle between government and the marketplace; the great debate over globalization; and the powerful force shaping our future society and economy. Based on the best-selling book The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy, co-authored by Pulitzer Prize-winner Daniel Yergin and Joseph Stanislaw.
The series is built around extraordinary interviews with world leaders and thinkers from twenty different countries—including former President Bill Clinton, Vice President Dick Cheney, former USSR President Mikhail Gorbachev, Mexican President Vicente Fox, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, Singapore’s Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew, former Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin, and President George W. Bush’s Economic Advisor Lawrence Lindsey. Series release date: 4/2002
- Program Description
The first episode tells the story of how, for much of the Twentieth Century, the world moved toward more government control--from the centrally planned economies of the communist world to the "mixed economies" of Europe and the developing world to the United States' regulated capitalism. The ideas of two economists lay at the center of, that struggle: John Maynard Keynes and Freidrich Von Hayek. Keynes ideas dominated for decades, as Hayek and his colleagues worked in the background to develop an intellectual current to offset the movement toward planning and government control.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Global Affairs
- Sullivan, Michael (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Battle of Ideas, The,” GBH Archives, accessed March 1, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3D418A2F2084BEF9E396747B16BBBA4.
- MLA: “Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Battle of Ideas, The.” GBH Archives. Web. March 1, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3D418A2F2084BEF9E396747B16BBBA4>.
- APA: Commanding Heights: The Battle For The World Economy; Battle of Ideas, The. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3D418A2F2084BEF9E396747B16BBBA4