American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 3 of 3
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Joyner talks about Southern Press - see US as foreign country they want out of, Hero - hero concept is dangerous, John Brown probably not a hero, Hero - John Brown was an extraordinary man, Icon - wonderful beliefs overcame flaws, chose right course at end, Jail/Martyr - realizes must be a loser to be a winner, Execution/Religion - John Brown believed he was fulfilling God's purpose, Press - first event where press played such a role, Song - legacy, mistake of Wise to execute John Brown, no song for Sumner, Singing Song, Song - great marching song of union army , Trial/Martyr - Wise the sacrificer, erred in rushing, executing, North v. South - dance b/t 2 sides leading to Civil War, Press - editorial writers play their part in dividing the country
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 3 of 3
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Joyner, Charles (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 3 of 3,” 2000, GBH Archives, accessed December 1, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3506E62E5B747ACA8F5F8D83346F39F.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 3 of 3.” 2000. GBH Archives. Web. December 1, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3506E62E5B747ACA8F5F8D83346F39F>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Charles Joyner, 3 of 3. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F3506E62E5B747ACA8F5F8D83346F39F