Ten O'Clock News; Dukakis as frontrunner
Christy George reports that a Los Angeles Times poll shows Michael Dukakis leading the field of candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination. Jesse Jackson is also a strong contender in the wake of candidate Gary Hart's withdrawal from the race. Speaking to the media, Dukakis dismisses the importance of polls. Interview with Bruce Bolling, the co-chair of Jackson's Massachusetts campaign, who says that the Jackson campaign will challenge the notion that a person of color cannot be president. George's report is accompanied by footage of Jackson campaigning, by footage of Dukakis campaigning and by footage of the Dukakis campaign staff at work.
- Ten O'Clock News
Dukakis as frontrunner
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Political campaigns
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Mass media
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Hart, Gary, 1936-
- African American politicians
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- News Report
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Speaker)
- Bolling, Bruce C., 1945-2012 (Interviewee)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Dukakis as frontrunner,” 05/11/1987, GBH Archives, accessed January 28, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F240229CF45F4B19804ADBF042959E55.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Dukakis as frontrunner.” 05/11/1987. GBH Archives. Web. January 28, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F240229CF45F4B19804ADBF042959E55>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Dukakis as frontrunner. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_F240229CF45F4B19804ADBF042959E55