American Experience; The Abolitionists; Interview with Tony Horwitz, part 2 of 3
Part of The Abolitionists Interviews.
Tony Horwitz, author of Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid That Sparked the Civil War
- American Experience
- The Abolitionists
- Program Number
2501, 2502, 2503
Interview with Tony Horwitz, part 2 of 3
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
On January 1, 1863, when abolitionist leaders Frederick Douglass and William Lloyd Garrison received word that the Emancipation Proclamation had declared three million enslaved African Americans "forever free," it was the culminating moment of the most important civil rights crusade in American history, and the climax of a long and difficult friendship between two remarkable men. In this series, the 150th anniversary of the Proclamation, American Experience tells the story of how Douglass, Garrison and their abolitionist allies Harriet Beecher Stowe, John Brown and Angelina Grimke turned a despised fringe movement against chattel slavery into a force that literally changed the nation. The "holy warriors" of emancipation captured the private details of their tumultuous political and personal journeys toward freedom in letters, diaries, newspaper articles, and memoirs. They revealed themselves to be willful, arrogant, righteous, and unbending, yet empathic, faithful, loyal, candid, and just. They fought the slave-holding South with a moral passion and bickered among themselves with petty familiarity. Along the way, they fell in love, got married, had families, lost loved ones, formed cliques, quarreled and made up.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Rapley, Rob (Producer)
- Horwitz, Tony (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; The Abolitionists; Interview with Tony Horwitz, part 2 of 3,” 2013, GBH Archives, accessed September 27, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EBD219BABEBA46D781A17FE6B0B04A78.
- MLA: “American Experience; The Abolitionists; Interview with Tony Horwitz, part 2 of 3.” 2013. GBH Archives. Web. September 27, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EBD219BABEBA46D781A17FE6B0B04A78>.
- APA: American Experience; The Abolitionists; Interview with Tony Horwitz, part 2 of 3. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EBD219BABEBA46D781A17FE6B0B04A78