Advocates; Should Your State Carry Out Death Sentences?
Part of The Advocates.
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Avi Nelson Advocate: Margaret Marshall Witnesses: Arthur Shuman, Jr. Former Assistant DA, Philadelphia Sen. Dale Volker New York State Legislature Don Reid Publisher Emeritus, The Huntsville Item Professor Alan Dershowitz Harvard Law School Co-produced with the Institute of Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Should Your State Carry Out Death Sentences?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Program Description
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Avi Nelson Advocate: Margaret Marshall Witnesses: Arthur Shuman, Jr. – Former Assistant DA, Philadelphia Sen. Dale Volker – New York State Legislature Don Reid – Publisher Emeritus, “The Huntsville Item” Professor Alan Dershowitz – Harvard Law School Co-produced with the Institute of Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. Bears WGBH copyright.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Volker, Dale M.
- Dershowitz, Alan M.
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Public Affairs
- Social Issues
- Dukakis, Michael (Moderator)
- Shuman, Arthur (Guest)
- Volker, Dale (Guest)
- Marshall, Margaret (Guest)
- Nelson, Avi (Guest)
- Reid, Don (Guest)
- Dershowitz, Alan (Guest)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should Your State Carry Out Death Sentences?,” 06/24/1979, GBH Archives, accessed November 27, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E88C09C767DA48A3A64C9FB078446FCC.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should Your State Carry Out Death Sentences?.” 06/24/1979. GBH Archives. Web. November 27, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E88C09C767DA48A3A64C9FB078446FCC>.
- APA: Advocates; Should Your State Carry Out Death Sentences?. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E88C09C767DA48A3A64C9FB078446FCC