Ten O'Clock News; Affordable Housing
Meg Vaillancourt interviews Sterling Anderson of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) outside of the Dudley Branch Library about the lack of affordable housing in the Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan areas. Anderson says that the city is not doing enough to provide affordable housing for low-income residents. Anderson questions the city's definition of low-income. He adds that most residents do not make enough money to meet the city's definition of low-income. Anderson and a group of ACORN protesters march to the offices of the Boston Redevelopment Authority on Washington Street in Dudley Square. Anderson and the protesters enter the office and confront Ricardo Millet of the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) about the city's affordable housing policies. The protesters read a list of demands including that 70% of all new developments in the area must target low and moderate-income residents. The protesters demand information on all new planned developments in the Roxbury/Dorchester/Mattapan neighborhoods. Millet discusses the city's affordable housing policy with the protesters. He gives them handouts including a list of planned developments in the area. Millet says that the BRA is trying to provide affordable housing despite a lack of subsidies from the federal government.
- Ten O'Clock News
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Urban poor
- ACORN (Organization)
- City planning
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- Mattapan (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Dorchester (Boston, Mass.)
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Affordable Housing,” 05/28/1986, GBH Archives, accessed January 16, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DF8302A40C8D41DA8A117CCA2B0E9867.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Affordable Housing.” 05/28/1986. GBH Archives. Web. January 16, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DF8302A40C8D41DA8A117CCA2B0E9867>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Affordable Housing. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DF8302A40C8D41DA8A117CCA2B0E9867