American Experience; Stonewall Uprising; Interview with Martin Boyce, 2 of 4
Part of Stonewall Uprising Interviews.
In this interview, Martin Boyce discusses homophobia and oppression in the 1950's and 1960's, as well as LGBTQ culture at the time. Topics include early gay cultural icons and literary figures; cruising, drag, and bar culture in Greenwich Village; and police brutality and bar raids. Boyce also discusses his personal experience at Stonewall and the impact and legacy of the uprising.
- American Experience
- Stonewall Uprising
- Program Number
Interview with Martin Boyce, 2 of 4
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
"Stonewall Uprising" explores the dramatic event that launched a worldwide rights movement. Told by those who took part, from drag queens and street hustlers to police detectives, journalists and a former mayor of New York, and featuring a rich trove of archival footage, this film revisits a time when homosexual acts were illegal throughout America, and homosexuality itself was seen as a form of mental illness. Hunted and often entrapped by undercover police in their hometowns, gays from around the U.S. began fleeing to New York in search of a sanctuary. Hounded there still by an aggressive police force, they found refuge in a Mafia-run gay bar in Greenwich Village, the Stonewall Inn. When police raided Stonewall on June 28, 1969, gay men and women did something they had not done before: they fought back. As the streets of New York erupted into violent protests and street demonstrations, the collective anger announced that the gay rights movement had arrived.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Davis, Kate (Producer)
- Boyce, Martin (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; Stonewall Uprising; Interview with Martin Boyce, 2 of 4,” 2011, GBH Archives, accessed December 6, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DECBFA4D32304BA682D3D814577DDDC3.
- MLA: “American Experience; Stonewall Uprising; Interview with Martin Boyce, 2 of 4.” 2011. GBH Archives. Web. December 6, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DECBFA4D32304BA682D3D814577DDDC3>.
- APA: American Experience; Stonewall Uprising; Interview with Martin Boyce, 2 of 4. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_DECBFA4D32304BA682D3D814577DDDC3