Say Brother; New Music
Part of Say Brother.
This program cannot be made available on Open Vault.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Say Brother
- New Music
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program consists of performance footage of a local Boston-based septet, and community awareness segments. Program includes a mime performance by Halim Adbur Rashid (Fred Johnson), a 30-minute performance by the The Webster Lewis Septet in the Say Brother studio, "Information" (on how and where to file income taxes), "Access" (in which United Community of Construction Workers'Jim McLean offers recommendations on what to look for when you buy a house), "Blast from the Past" (with an excerpt from a Say Brother interview with Chico Neblett, a Boston Field Marshall for the Black Panther Party), the "Community Calendar," and "Commentary" by Producer Marita Rivero.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Webster Lewis Septet
- African Americans in the performing arts
- Neblett, Chico
- Johnson, Fred (Halim Adbur Rashid)
- Black Panther Party
- African American musicians
- Black Power--United States
- United Community Construction Workers (Boston, Mass.)
- Home ownership
- Race and Ethnicity
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Associate Producer)
- Rivero, Marita (Producer)
- Marita Rivero (Producer)
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Boston Art Ensemble (Theme Music)
- McGuire Nicholas, Sallie (Production Assistant)
- Spooner, Dighton (Researcher)
- Farrier, Stephen (Community Coordinator)
- Cogell, Lloyd (Still Photography)
- Cross, June (Community Coordinator)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; New Music,” 01/09/1975, GBH Archives, accessed June 10, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D3D564C253CC4DC5AC81B815DC375D60.
- MLA: “Say Brother; New Music.” 01/09/1975. GBH Archives. Web. June 10, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D3D564C253CC4DC5AC81B815DC375D60>.
- APA: Say Brother; New Music. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D3D564C253CC4DC5AC81B815DC375D60