War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Control Tower, Dyess Air Force Base
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
Exteriors of guard post at Dyess Air Force Base. Soldier saluting. Interiors of control tower, overlooking runways. Men at controls, using binoculars, radar, talking on headsets, directing air traffic. Military planes, including B-1 Bombers and C-20s, taking off and landing. Close up of yellow alert lights and sign. Officers de-boarding plane on runway. Close up of radar.
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
Control Tower, Dyess Air Force Base
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- United States. Air Force
- c-20 planes
- B-1 bombers
- Dyess Air Force Base, Abilene, TX
- War and Conflict
- Global Affairs
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Control Tower, Dyess Air Force Base,” 05/28/1987, GBH Archives, accessed May 13, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CEA7827C17324983937F3D23D3E16CA1.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Control Tower, Dyess Air Force Base.” 05/28/1987. GBH Archives. Web. May 13, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CEA7827C17324983937F3D23D3E16CA1>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Control Tower, Dyess Air Force Base. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CEA7827C17324983937F3D23D3E16CA1