American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Bruce Olds, 3 of 3
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Olds talks about Loss - resigned to despair, despair became his liberation, North Elba/Kansas - letter from sons, chance to make good, Pottawatomie - terror, shock, purposeful, Pottawatomie - lying about it in Boston, Pottawatomie - make Kansas platform for wider war, Martyr/Plan - no death wish, big plan, bad tactics, Paymaster's Office - seizes moment, courage, brave words
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with author Bruce Olds, 3 of 3
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Olds, Bruce (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Bruce Olds, 3 of 3,” 2000, GBH Archives, accessed May 20, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CACA9D5F2D5844B3AEFC6E70C4C7EC61.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Bruce Olds, 3 of 3.” 2000. GBH Archives. Web. May 20, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CACA9D5F2D5844B3AEFC6E70C4C7EC61>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Bruce Olds, 3 of 3. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_CACA9D5F2D5844B3AEFC6E70C4C7EC61