Say Brother; What is Concilio?
Part of Say Brother.
This program cannot be made available on Open Vault.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Say Brother
- What is Concilio?
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program examines the work of the Concilio Human Services Program, which offers a bilingual drug rehabilitation program with detoxification, clinical, vocational, and academic services. Host Barbara Barrow speaks with Executive Director Nick Arana about self-help drug rehabilitation, program funding, working with non-Spanish addicts, Concilio's connection to other heath centers, staffing, and court-ordered referrals. Additional segments include the "Say Brother News" with reporters Leah Fletcher, Eric Sampedro, and Justina Chu, and the "Community Calendar."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Concilio Human Services
- Civil rights
- Drug abuse--Treatment
- African Americans in television broadcasting
- Arana, Nick
- Puerto Ricans--Ethnic identity
- Human services--Massachusetts--Boston
- Puerto Rico--History
- Television broadcasting of news
- Race and Ethnicity
- White, Conrad (Director)
- Moore, Melvin (Associate Producer)
- Barbara Barrow (Producer)
- Valdes, Mario (Researcher)
- Sampedro, Eric (Reporter)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Host)
- Mackles, Gene (Graphic Designer)
- Songai, Jahid (Intern)
- Lewis, Webster (Theme Music)
- Clarke, Brian (Assistant To The Producer)
- Coleman, Vernon (Audio Editor)
- MacKnight, John (Videotape Recordist)
- Smith, Lee (Camera)
- Kane, Pat (Videotape Editor)
- Horne, Danny (Intern)
- Lane, Frank (Camera)
- Wilson, Bob (Stage Manager)
- Fletcher, Leah (Reporter)
- Floyd, Michael (Switcher)
- Yang, Eileen (Researcher)
- Chu, Justina (Reporter)
- Hill, Rebecca (Fashion Consultant)
- Norton, Chas (Lighting)
- Johnson, Lenita (Intern)
- Cross, June (Production Assistant)
- Buccheri, Ron (Edit Programmer)
- Balhatchet, Tom (Audio)
- Shipley, Jack (Still Photography)
- Mahard, Fran (Scenic Design)
- Correia, Dennis (Video)
- Marshall, Carolyn (Production Secretary)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; What is Concilio?,” 12/17/1976, GBH Archives, accessed December 8, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C2A93860D21F4B4EB90ED4F51EACA08B.
- MLA: “Say Brother; What is Concilio?.” 12/17/1976. GBH Archives. Web. December 8, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C2A93860D21F4B4EB90ED4F51EACA08B>.
- APA: Say Brother; What is Concilio?. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_C2A93860D21F4B4EB90ED4F51EACA08B