Advocates; Should the news media refuse to publish candidate preference polls?
Part of The Advocates.
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Roger Fisher Advocate: Howard Miller Witnesses: Herschel Shosteck Political Opinion Consultant David Anderson Liberal Party Leader, British Columbia Rep. William Green (D) Pennsylvania Mervin Field Pollster Charles Goodell Former Senator, New York
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Should the news media refuse to publish candidate preference polls?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Program Description
Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Roger Fisher Advocate: Howard Miller Witnesses: Herschel Shosteck – Political Opinion Consultant David Anderson – Liberal Party Leader, British Columbia Rep. William Green – (D) Pennsylvania Mervin Field – Pollster Charles Goodell – Former Senator, New York Produced by WGBH at Faneuil Hall, bears WGBH copyright
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Shosteck, Herschel
- Anderson, David
- Field, Mervin
- Goodell, Charles E. (Charles Ellsworth), 1926-1987
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Fisher, Roger, 1922-
- Green, William
- Miller, Howard E.
- Faneuil Hall, Boston, Massachusetts
- Social Issues
- Public Affairs
- Goodell, Charles (Guest)
- Shosteck, Herschel (Guest)
- Miller, Howard (Guest)
- Fisher, Roger (Guest)
- Field, Mervin (Guest)
- Dukakis, Michael (Moderator)
- Green, William (Guest)
- Anderson, David (Guest)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should the news media refuse to publish candidate preference polls?,” 11/16/1972, GBH Archives, accessed November 27, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8EBC188E0DBF4B43936529114B2BB899.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should the news media refuse to publish candidate preference polls?.” 11/16/1972. GBH Archives. Web. November 27, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8EBC188E0DBF4B43936529114B2BB899>.
- APA: Advocates; Should the news media refuse to publish candidate preference polls?. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8EBC188E0DBF4B43936529114B2BB899