Ten O'Clock News; Desegregation in Lynn
Marcus Jones reports on school desegregation in Lynn, Massachusetts. Jones notes that an influx of immigrants and a change in housing patterns have tipped the racial balance in the public schools. Jones adds that Lynn made an attempt at school desegregation in the early 1980s by designating certain schools as magnet schools. Jones reviews that racial breakdown of the student population in Lynn Public Schools and in specific schools in the city. Jones interviews Clarence Jones (President, Lynn chapter of the NAACP), Albert DiVirgilio (Mayor of Lynn), Alexander Tennant (candidate for mayor of Lynn), James Leonard (Principal, Washington Community School), Robert Gerardi (Superintendent, Lynn Public Schools), and Michael Alves (Massachusetts Board of Education) about school desegregation in Lynn. Jones notes that there is some opposition from parents who want their children to attend neighborhood schools. Jones interviews parents Kathleen Sherkanowski and Rose McCusker. Jones reports that the State Board of Education has ordered the Lynn School Committee to implement a plan without delay. This edition of the Ten O'Clock News also included the following item: Hope Kelly reports on school desegregation in Lowell
- Ten O'Clock News
Desegregation in Lynn
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Busing for school integration
- Magnet schools
- Segregation in education
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Massachusetts. Board of Education
- Lynn (Mass.)
- News Report
- Jones, Marcus (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Desegregation in Lynn,” 10/23/1987, GBH Archives, accessed April 13, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8E3608BE3E584B889EB6D9915D0DB00A.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Desegregation in Lynn.” 10/23/1987. GBH Archives. Web. April 13, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8E3608BE3E584B889EB6D9915D0DB00A>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Desegregation in Lynn. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8E3608BE3E584B889EB6D9915D0DB00A