Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 1
Mayoral candidates Mel King and Ray Flynn participate in a forum on education sponsored by the Citywide Education Coalition (CWEC) at English High School. Flynn talks about his experience in government and his commitment to the public schools. He notes his familiarity with the city and school budgets, and he discusses the importance of public education and public housing. King stresses the importance of early childhood education programs and a "child-centered" school system. King speaks of the need for the mayor to work together with the Boston School Committee. King says that the city must continue to demonstrate its support of integrated schools. King and Flynn respond to a question about requiring students to pass a standardized test in order to graduate. Tape 1 of 2.
- Ten O'Clock News
King Flynn debate, Part 1
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School management and organization
- African American politicians
- King, Mel
- Political campaigns
- Campaign debates
- Flynn, Raymond L.
- Boston School Committee (Boston, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- News Report
- King, Mel (Speaker)
- George, Christy (Reporter)
- Flynn, Raymond L. (Speaker)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 1,” 10/13/1983, GBH Archives, accessed January 22, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8B511E8D4C684B2FA8293C12253B8FE0.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 1.” 10/13/1983. GBH Archives. Web. January 22, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8B511E8D4C684B2FA8293C12253B8FE0>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; King Flynn debate, Part 1. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_8B511E8D4C684B2FA8293C12253B8FE0