Say Brother; Alternative Medicine
Part of Say Brother.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- Say Brother
- Alternative Medicine
- Program Number
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program explores two non-Western methods of healthcare and healing: acupuncture and transcendental meditation. Host Barbara Barrow-Murray speaks with Don West, a national representative of the transcendental meditation movement, in the first half of the program, and with John Shen (doctor of Chinese medicine), Barbara A. Nates (an acupuncture consumer representative), and Dr. Whei Chue Shih (acupuncturist), members of the Oriental Acupuncture Center of Boston, in the second. Topics include the health benefits of meditation, the training of Chinese doctors, the use of herbs, and the differences between eastern and western approaches to illness. Program includes an in-studio demonstration of acupuncture.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Alternative medicine
- Nates, Barbara A.
- Shih, Dr. Whei Chue
- Shen, Dr. John
- West, Don
- Transcendental Meditation
- Race and Ethnicity
- Moore, Melvin (Associate Producer)
- Barbara Barrow-Murray (Producer)
- Atwood, David (Director)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Producer)
- Horne, Danny (Intern)
- LaBillois, Ann (Intern)
- Mackles, Gene (Graphic Designer)
- Clark, Marvin (Intern)
- Rosenthal, Iris (Assistant Cameraman)
- Clarke, Brian (Assistant Director)
- Smith, Kathy (Switcher)
- Demers, Leo (Videotape Recordist)
- Wilson, Bob (Camera)
- Mahard, Fran (Scenic Design)
- Bordett, Bruce (Stage Manager)
- Cronin, Mary (Audio)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Host)
- Rivera, George (Production Assistant)
- Merhar, Milan (Videotape Recordist)
- Sullivan, John L. (Lighting Director)
- Lewis, Webster (Theme Music)
- Norton, Chas (Lighting Assistant)
- Stewart, Aubrey (Video)
- Hill, Rebecca (Fashion Consultant)
- Yang, Eileen (Researcher)
- St. Onge, David (Videotape Recordist)
- Wareham, Skip (Camera)
- Buccheri, Ron (Switcher)
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Alternative Medicine,” 05/12/1978, GBH Archives, accessed January 18, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6368E498EBB6464E8CEFAA07E0F14A19.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Alternative Medicine.” 05/12/1978. GBH Archives. Web. January 18, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6368E498EBB6464E8CEFAA07E0F14A19>.
- APA: Say Brother; Alternative Medicine. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_6368E498EBB6464E8CEFAA07E0F14A19