La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Achy Obejas
Conversations with Ilan Stavans Achy Obejas protection master closed captioned
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- La Plaza
- Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Achy Obejas
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Achy Obejas is a widely published and award-winning poet, fiction writer and journalist. She writes a weekly column for the Chicago Tribune. She weaves her experiences as a Cuban-born exile growing up in Chicago and as a lesbian living in a tight-knit Latino community, into her first collection of short stories entitled, We Came All the Way from Cuba so you Could Dress Like This? Her novel Memory Mambo explores the introspective voice of Juani Casa, who is obsessed with extracting the truth from her memories of exile and alienation. She has won numerous writing awards, including a National Endowment for the Arts Creative Writing Fellowship and the 1996 Studs Terkel Journalism Award. She lives in Chicago.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Achy Obejas,” 10/02/2001, GBH Archives, accessed January 26, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4F9D0C791C3642A9985A234BAB2CAE76.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Achy Obejas.” 10/02/2001. GBH Archives. Web. January 26, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4F9D0C791C3642A9985A234BAB2CAE76>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations with Ilan Stavans: Achy Obejas. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_4F9D0C791C3642A9985A234BAB2CAE76