Ten O'Clock News; Hagler announces candidacy
Hope Kelly reports that Reverend Graylan Hagler of the Church of the United Community has announced his candidacy for mayor of Boston. He says that it is time for a change in the city of Boston. His supporters cheer. Kelly reviews Hagler's credentials and career. She notes that Hagler has a confrontational style and is experienced in the art of political theater. Kelly reviews Hagler's recent political activities. Kelly's report includes footage of Hagler addressing striking hotel and restaurant workers in November of 1988 and footage of Hagler with unemployed construction workers at a press conference at a Roxbury construction site in December of 1990. Kelly's report also includes footage of Hagler denouncing racism on the part of city officials at a press conference in the wake of the Carol Stuart murder case. Kelly's report includes footage from an interview with Hagler in March of 1991. He says that he is seeking justice and equity in the city.
- Ten O'Clock News
Hagler announces candidacy
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African Americans -- Employment
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954-
- Press conferences
- African American religious leaders
- Political campaigns
- African American politicians
- Race relations
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Hagler, Graylan, 1954- (Speaker)
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Hagler announces candidacy,” 05/01/1991, GBH Archives, accessed May 20, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_493DF34439314DE58E510BF80867C098.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Hagler announces candidacy.” 05/01/1991. GBH Archives. Web. May 20, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_493DF34439314DE58E510BF80867C098>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Hagler announces candidacy. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_493DF34439314DE58E510BF80867C098