Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties
Part of New Television Workshop.
Part of NTW Master Dubbing: 8/98
This program cannot be made available on Open Vault.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
- Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund
- Sudden Difficulties
- Series Description
Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund -- WGBH's collaboration with the Institute Of Contemporary Art (ICA) -- offers a co-venture among TV producers from seven countries, each seeking to capture the spirit of a specific environment. Titles include: O PANAMA: a video by James Benning and Burt Barr evoking the mental landscape of a sick man confined to his apartment; TIME CODE; L'IMAGE; STORM AND STRESS; SOLOS, DUETS AND PIZZA: Three dance videos: "Rotary Action", a duet featuring Bill T. Jones and Arnie Zane; "Watermotor for Dancer and Camera", with Trisha Brown, and "From and Island Summer", with Karole Armitage; SET & RESET (#4) VERSION 1: Choreographer Trisha Brown performs to music by Laurie Anderson in this video dance piece DAMNATION OF FAUST: story of Marguerite of the Faust legend; MORE TV STORIES: satirizing the relationship between people and their TVs; NEW ENGLAND FISHERMEN - Joan Logue's brief vignettes of fishermen. Series release date: 1985
- Program Description
It documents a collaborative performance and installation at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston by the painter and sculptor Elaine Spatz-Rabinowitz and the theater artist Peter Sellars. The video work was created by Katherine Gulla. In “Sudden Difficulties,” Sellars and Spatz-Rabinowitz talk about the process of creating the piece. Dancer Bonnie Zimmering performs the actual work, in which a woman arises from bed and interacts with transforming props.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Documentaries and factual works
- Installations (Art)
- Experimental theater
- Film and Television
- Gulla, Katherine (Producer)
- Zimmering, Bonnie ()
- Spatz-Rabinowitz, Elaine ()
- Sellars, Peter ()
- Chicago: “Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties,” 05/13/1985, GBH Archives, accessed September 27, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41A156093961484A80E31D386B86B39F.
- MLA: “Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties.” 05/13/1985. GBH Archives. Web. September 27, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41A156093961484A80E31D386B86B39F>.
- APA: Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund; Sudden Difficulties. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_41A156093961484A80E31D386B86B39F