Ten O'Clock News; Timilty Middle School
Hope Kelly reviews the history of school desegregation in Boston. She notes that many critics cite the absence of middle-class and white students as a reason for the continued failure of the Boston Public Schools. She focuses on the Timilty Middle School in Boston, a magnet school with successful reading and math programs for its students. Kelly interviews teacher William Moran and principle Shirley Gonsalves about the school and its programs. Moran says that the students are successful. He adds that many come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Gonsalves talks about the benefits of school desegregation. Kelly reports that the Timilty School was named a National School of Excellence in 1989. Following the edited story is additional b-roll footage of students and teachers in classrooms at the Timilty School.
- Ten O'Clock News
Timilty Middle School
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- School integration
- African American students
- Busing for school integration
- Magnet schools
- Roxbury (Boston, Mass.)
- News Report
- Kelly, Hope (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Timilty Middle School,” 03/22/1991, GBH Archives, accessed February 28, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E95DD78D9684A5EB54A2C11596ED6D2.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Timilty Middle School.” 03/22/1991. GBH Archives. Web. February 28, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E95DD78D9684A5EB54A2C11596ED6D2>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Timilty Middle School. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2E95DD78D9684A5EB54A2C11596ED6D2