Advocates; Should Puerto Rico Become a State, a Commonwealth, or an Independent Nation?
Part of The Advocates.
A special, bi-lingual edition of the Advocates Moderator: Michael Dukakis Advocate: Jaime Fuster Advocate: Joaquin Marquez Advocate: Fernando Martin Witnesses: Jose Arsenio Torres - Professor, University of Puerto Rico and Former Senator Reinaldo Paniagua - Former Secretary of State Ruben Berrios Martinez - President, Puerto Rican Independence Party Co-produced with the Institute of Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
- Should Puerto Rico Become a State, a Commonwealth, or an Independent Nation?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Paniagua, Reinaldo
- Berríos Martínez, Rubén
- Arsenio-Torres, Jose
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Puerto Rico--History--1952-1998
- Marquez, Joaquin
- United States--Relations--Puerto Rico
- United States--Territories and possessions
- Martin, Fernando
- Fuster Berlingeri, Jaime B.
- Nationalism--Puerto Rico--History--20th century ---
- Puerto Rico--History--Autonomy and independence movements
- Puerto Rico--Relations--United States
- Cambridge, MA
- Public Affairs
- Social Issues
- Berríos Martínez, Rubén (Guest)
- Fuster Berlingeri, Jaime B. (Guest)
- Marquez, Joaquin (Guest)
- Arsenio-Torres, Jose (Guest)
- Paniagua, Reinaldo (Guest)
- Martin, Fernando (Guest)
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933- (Moderator)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should Puerto Rico Become a State, a Commonwealth, or an Independent Nation?,” 05/06/1979, GBH Archives, accessed April 15, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2974AD72D8C24D7D9550E15330DE6523.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should Puerto Rico Become a State, a Commonwealth, or an Independent Nation?.” 05/06/1979. GBH Archives. Web. April 15, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2974AD72D8C24D7D9550E15330DE6523>.
- APA: Advocates; Should Puerto Rico Become a State, a Commonwealth, or an Independent Nation?. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_2974AD72D8C24D7D9550E15330DE6523