La Plaza; Conversations With Ilan Stavans: Patricia Cardoso
Home Video Version
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This program has not been digitized yet or cannot be made available on Open Vault.
- La Plaza
- Conversations With Ilan Stavans: Patricia Cardoso
- Program Number
- Series Description
Premiered January 10, 1979- Officially La Plaza as a separate series title ended after season 28 (2006). It was replaced by the interview series: Maria Hinojosa: One-on-One which premiered in 2007.
Producer Raquel Ortiz anticipates that the bilingual series will serve as a plaza for the entire local Latino community. Ortiz also served as the host during the first season along with guest hosts. The program format varied from week to week, between musical specials, documentaries, in-studio debates, both locally produced and acquired. Spanish language programs were subtitled in English and English language programs were captioned in Spanish.
See January 1979 Prime Time Program Guide for cover story. Series release date: 1/10/1979
- Program Description
Patricia Cardoso directed the film Real Women Have Curves, an adaptation of a play by Josefina López. Winner of the Audience Award at the 2002 Sundance Film Festival, Real Women Have Curves is a coming-of-age story about a young Latina from East Los Angeles who must deal with her confidence-destroying mother as she wrestles with whether to leave her close-knit family for a scholarship to Columbia University. Cardoso discusses with Ilan Stavans whether the film is a feminist story, whether the neighborhood of East Los Angeles is a protagonist, and whether the birds in the film are a metaphor for the mother/daughter relationship and why she thinks the movie has met with such success.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Ortiz, Raquel (Series Producer)
- Chicago: “La Plaza; Conversations With Ilan Stavans: Patricia Cardoso,” 01/13/2004, GBH Archives, accessed March 1, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_27D408042BF84AF7A529F3038FE7D3C7.
- MLA: “La Plaza; Conversations With Ilan Stavans: Patricia Cardoso.” 01/13/2004. GBH Archives. Web. March 1, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_27D408042BF84AF7A529F3038FE7D3C7>.
- APA: La Plaza; Conversations With Ilan Stavans: Patricia Cardoso. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_27D408042BF84AF7A529F3038FE7D3C7