American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 2 of 5
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Washington talks about Nat Turner - rebellion in 1831 reverberated thru US, Nat Turner - slavery under siege, dispelled myth of happy slaves, Nat Turner - symbol of wrath of God, blacks knew Bible, Underground RR - John Brown's role, clothe, transport, protect, Relationship w/Blacks - Sambo's Mistakes, John Brown's advice, Personality - arrogance expecting to be embraced as black leader, Relationship w/Blacks - gave advice out of concern, Religion/Personality - Puritan patriarch, knows best, Relationship w/Blacks - wants to be seen as black leader, Personality - thought he was right w/ blacks, whites, sons, etc., Douglass - respected John Brown's commitment to blacks, Douglass/Raid - wishes he could throw aside caution, but can't , Douglass/Raid - knew slaves suspicious, plan wouldn't work , Douglass/Raid - must have wanted to be part of it
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 2 of 5
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Washington, Margaret (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 2 of 5,” 2000, GBH Archives, accessed December 1, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0E6740B877304354B31F695D88FCD57D.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 2 of 5.” 2000. GBH Archives. Web. December 1, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0E6740B877304354B31F695D88FCD57D>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Margaret Washington, 2 of 5. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0E6740B877304354B31F695D88FCD57D