American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 5 of 6
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Frye talks about Raid - sensational event, whole nation fixated upon it, Press - John Brown wounded, debilitated, but focused in interview, Press - newspapers medium, nation consumed w/ John Brown, Press - Virginia gave access to look civilized, Wise - enemy spoke positively about John Brown, Trial - verdict, sentencing, Trial/Press - opportunity, words in newspapers w/in hours, Southern perspective - John Brown guilty, deserves noose, Trial - verdict was John Brown's greatest moment , Trial - John Brown says he would've been a hero if fighting for rich, Trial - John Brown says he came to save God's poor, message resonated, South - John Brown frightened South, white Northerner, South - terrorized, people wanted guns, militia units formed, Ruffin - find solidarity in Southern fear, John Brown pikes on display, Icon - made compromise, reason, discussion impossible, Press - tributes to John Brown, South in disbelief, think of secession, Secession - South felt violated, determined to defend itself, Icon - John Brown made North believe something must change
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian Dennis Frye 5 of 6
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Frye, Dennis (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 5 of 6,” 2000, GBH Archives, accessed May 20, 2022, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A1949F51B5041EDA7548036974A43C6.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 5 of 6.” 2000. GBH Archives. Web. May 20, 2022. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A1949F51B5041EDA7548036974A43C6>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian Dennis Frye 5 of 6. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0A1949F51B5041EDA7548036974A43C6