Say Brother; Odetta; Odetta Gordon performs "Give Me Your Hand"
Part of From the Vault.
Odetta Gordon, a classically trained musician turned folk singer, performs the song "Give Me Your Hand" live in the Say Brother studio.
- Say Brother
- Program Number
Odetta Gordon performs "Give Me Your Hand"
- Series Description
Say Brother is WGBH's longest running public affairs television program by, for and about African Americans, and is now known as Basic Black. Since its inception in 1968, Say Brother has featured the voices of both locally and nationally known African American artists, athletes, performers, politicians, professionals, and writers including: Muhammad Ali, Maya Angelou, Thomas Atkins, Amiri Baraka, Doris Bunte, Julian Bond, Stokely Carmichael, Louis Farrakhan, Nikki Giovanni, Odetta Gordon, Henry Hampton, Benjamin Hooks, Jesse Jackson, Hubie Jones, Mel King, Eartha Kitt, Elma Lewis, Haki Madhubuti, Wallace D. Muhammad, Charles Ogletree, Babatunde Olatunji, Byron Rushing, Owusu Sadaukai, and Sonia Sanchez. Series release date: 7/15/1968
- Program Description
Program consists of an interview with, and live studio performance by, Odetta Gordon, a classically trained musician turned folk singer. Host Barbara Barrow-Murray speaks with Odetta backstage before the performance about her birthday, her religious perspectives (especially her interest in Eastern spiritual beliefs), the music tradition from which she draws, her good feelings about tonight's performance, and her change from classical to folk music. (An on-stage interview after her performance also introduces questions about her inspiration, her involvement in civil rights struggles, and the artists that have influenced her.) Program closes with an Odetta-led a cappella version of "Amazing Grace" with audience participation.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- African American women
- African American musicians
- Folk music--United States
- Race and Ethnicity
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Interviewer)
- Gordon, Odetta (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “Say Brother; Odetta; Odetta Gordon performs "Give Me Your Hand",” 05/25/1979, GBH Archives, accessed March 2, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0018E9CE98DA47D580672E6DCD82CCD2.
- MLA: “Say Brother; Odetta; Odetta Gordon performs "Give Me Your Hand".” 05/25/1979. GBH Archives. Web. March 2, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0018E9CE98DA47D580672E6DCD82CCD2>.
- APA: Say Brother; Odetta; Odetta Gordon performs "Give Me Your Hand". Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_0018E9CE98DA47D580672E6DCD82CCD2