March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 1 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. First of fifteen hours of broadcast: 9 A.M. - 10 AM. Introduction by anchor George Geesey; reports from various spots by ERN staff; pre-program entertainment from the stage at the Washington Monument grounds.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you would like research access to the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 1 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- American Jewish Congress
- Civil rights
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Civil rights movement
- Communism--United States--Public opinion
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- B'nai B'rith. Anti-defamation League
- Unitarian Universalist Association
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Geesey, George (Host)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 1 of 17,” 08/28/1963, GBH Archives, accessed June 7, 2023, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_739CF821AA9F44B891160EB2CF76FA78.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 1 of 17.” 08/28/1963. GBH Archives. Web. June 7, 2023. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_739CF821AA9F44B891160EB2CF76FA78>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 1 of 17. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_739CF821AA9F44B891160EB2CF76FA78