March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 8 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom Eighth of fifteen hours of broadcast: 3:56 P.M. - 4:25 P.M. Martin Luther King Jr. intro, Bayard Rustin reads demands, Randolph reads Pledge, Rev Benjamin E. Mays of Moorehouse College give the closing benediction and people disperse.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email email@example.com.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 8 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Civil rights
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963.
- African Americans
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues
- Mays, Benjamin E. (Benjamin Elijah) (Speaker)
- Rustin, Bayard (Speaker)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 8 of 17,” 08/28/1963, GBH Archives, accessed March 3, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_27BB06E300874F279030125D1216C8B5.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 8 of 17.” 08/28/1963. GBH Archives. Web. March 3, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_27BB06E300874F279030125D1216C8B5>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 8 of 17. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_27BB06E300874F279030125D1216C8B5