March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 5 of 17
Part of March on Washington.
The Educational Radio Network / ERN's coverage of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom Fifth of fifteen hours of broadcast: 1 P.M. - 1:58:30 P.M. Camilla Williams sings National Anthem to begin the program.
More material may be available from this program at the GBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at GBH, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Part 5 of 17
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Motion picture actors and actresses--Political activity--United States
- African American celebrities
- Civil rights
- Legislators--United States--States--Attitudes
- Bunche, Ralph J. (Ralph Johnson), 1904-1971
- African American comedians
- Brando, Marlon
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- Belafonte, Harry, 1927-
- Lancaster, Burt, 1913-1994
- African Americans--Politics and government--20th century
- Shuttlesworth, Fred L., 1922-
- Civil rights movement
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th century
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Lancaster, Burt (Speaker)
- Belafonte, Harry (Speaker)
- Bunche, Ralph J. (Ralph Johnson) (Speaker)
- Brando, Marlon (Speaker)
- Williams, Camilla (Performer)
- Abernathy, Ralph (Speaker)
- Douglas, Paul H. (Paul Howard) (Speaker)
- Gregory, Dick (Speaker)
- Baker, Josephine (Speaker)
- Baez, Joan (Performer)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 5 of 17,” 08/28/1963, GBH Archives, accessed August 4, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_238B5243A16E420BB6228BD8E0099176.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 5 of 17.” 08/28/1963. GBH Archives. Web. August 4, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_238B5243A16E420BB6228BD8E0099176>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Part 5 of 17. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_238B5243A16E420BB6228BD8E0099176