March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with Caroline Isber
Part of March on Washington.
Caroline Isber remembers what it was like, in 1963, being one of the few women in a profession dominated by men, and the technical feat that was the Educational Radio Networks broadcast of the March. Ms. Isber was a Radio Producer for WGBH-FM in Boston at the time of the March. She was interviewed in Washington D.C. on March 7, 2011.
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom
Interview with Caroline Isber
- Series Description
Educational Radio Network coverage of the 8/28/1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
The 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom featured an estimated 250,000 peaceful demonstrators walking from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial to hear a political call to arms for economic equality and civil rights for African Americans. Credited with being the final impetus to the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the event famously ended with Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech. Series release date: 8/28/1963
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Civil rights
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, Washington, D.C., 1963
- Demstrations--Law and legislation
- Civil rights movements--United States--History--20th Century
- Public Radio--United States--History.
- Women radio producers and directors
- United States--Politics and government--1961-1963
- WGBH (Radio station : Boston, Mass.)
- Civil rights movement
- Washington (D.C.)
- Event Coverage
- Social Issues
- Race and Ethnicity
- Isber, Caroline (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with Caroline Isber,” 03/07/2011, GBH Archives, accessed September 21, 2021, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_168313257D594FA6912DEDEF48AFF83A.
- MLA: “March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with Caroline Isber.” 03/07/2011. GBH Archives. Web. September 21, 2021. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_168313257D594FA6912DEDEF48AFF83A>.
- APA: March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom; Interview with Caroline Isber. Boston, MA: GBH Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/A_168313257D594FA6912DEDEF48AFF83A