New Television; New Television, Episode 310; Bees and Thoroughbreds
Part of New Television Workshop.
In Matthew Geller's "Bees and Thoroughbreds," three individuals are interviewed about the worlds they inhabit. John Lee, a horseracing correspondent, Mark Thompson, a beekeeper, and Bonnie O'Neill, a private detective. Images of beekeeping and horse training are played over John Lee's commentary about the veterinary care of racehorses. Approximate date: 1987
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 310
- Program Number
Bees and Thoroughbreds
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Contains Matthew Geller’s “Bees and Thoroughbreds,” a video essay about the lives of a beekeeper, a race track correspondent, and a private detective.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Horse racing
- Geller, Matthew, 1954-
- Lee, John
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 310; Bees and Thoroughbreds,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 3, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EB1A2A6960374FBBB3CF3E5A1608F8C0.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 310; Bees and Thoroughbreds.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 3, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EB1A2A6960374FBBB3CF3E5A1608F8C0>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 310; Bees and Thoroughbreds. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_EB1A2A6960374FBBB3CF3E5A1608F8C0