Ten O'Clock News; Outcome of Michigan caucuses
Meg Vaillancourt reports that Jesse Jackson defeated Michael Dukakis in the Michigan caucuses. Jackson's performance exceeded the expectations of political analysts and has led them to consider the possibility of Jackson winning the Democratic nomination. Some analysts are questioning the state of the Dukakis campaign. Interviews with Robert Kuttner (author of The Life of the Party) and Leslie Dach (Dukakis campaign). Kuttner says that Jackson appeals to working class voters. Dach defends the Dukakis campaign and adds that Dukakis has a strong base of support. Vaillancourt notes that the Democratic establishment would be shaken by a Jackson victory. Interview with Jeffrey Garin (Democratic Party pollster). Vaillancourt's report includes footage of Charlene Drew Jarvis (delegate to the Democratic convention) on the MacNeil Lehrer Newshour and footage of Jackson and Dukakis campaigning.
- Ten O'Clock News
Outcome of Michigan caucuses
- Series Description
NIGHTLY NEWS WITH CHRISTOPHER LYDON AND CARMEN FIELDS Began January 1976. Replaced evening news show EVENING COMPASS. Original host: Steve Nevas. Other anchors, Christopher Lydon (1977-91) and Gail Harris (1983). In 1980 - hour long. Ended in 1991.
(PREDECESSORS: Louis Lyons began news operations at WGBH in 1952. The News at 10 began in 1966. The Reporters premiered in 1970. The Evening Compass started in 1974.) Series release date: 1/1976
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Democratic Party (U.S.)
- Presidents -- United States -- Election -- 1988
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941-
- Dukakis, Michael S. (Michael Stanley), 1933-
- Political campaigns
- Political conventions
- African American politicians
- News Report
- Vaillancourt, Meg (Reporter)
- Chicago: “Ten O'Clock News; Outcome of Michigan caucuses,” 03/28/1988, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed March 22, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E08A876854A04DB5B44AA02B13FA5516.
- MLA: “Ten O'Clock News; Outcome of Michigan caucuses.” 03/28/1988. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. March 22, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E08A876854A04DB5B44AA02B13FA5516>.
- APA: Ten O'Clock News; Outcome of Michigan caucuses. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_E08A876854A04DB5B44AA02B13FA5516