American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Russell Banks, 5 of 5
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Banks talks about Kansas/Sons - went for cheap land and principle, Kansas - people went for mix of idealism and land, Kansas - John Brown reluctance normal, too old for a young man's fight, Kansas - John Brown went to rescue sons and fight slavery, Kansas - John Brown as warrior and shepherd saving son, Kansas - compared to Balkan wars, Kansas - not 2 military forces organized, small bands of men, Kansas - like Balkans, cruel, bad weather, no supply depot, Kansas/Hero - inspired men, only appeared armed to the teeth, Kansas/Wagon - PR ploy, useless military vehicle, but struck fear
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with author Russell Banks, 5 of 5
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Banks, Russell (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Russell Banks, 5 of 5,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 19, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D74ED2040AED4B82AB608B7C8870B492.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Russell Banks, 5 of 5.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 19, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D74ED2040AED4B82AB608B7C8870B492>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with author Russell Banks, 5 of 5. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_D74ED2040AED4B82AB608B7C8870B492