Frames of Reference; Cityscape
Part of New Television Workshop.
Approximate date: 1975
More material is available from this program at the WGBH Archive. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
Undigitized item: Request Digitization
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Frames of Reference
- Series Description
“Frames of Reference” was a series that began circa 1978. Half-hour shows were produced to showcase commissioned and already created works. It was around this time that the focus of the Workshop shifted, to concentrate more heavily on creating works for broadcast. During its time, “Frames of Reference” was the focus of the Workshop’s national arts programming effort. In an attempt to raise funds and foster collaboration, Workshop personnel approached and visited several public television stations nationwide. The major collaborative relationship was with WGBH’s “sister station,” WGBY (Springfield, Mass.). Among the featured artists were Meredith Monk, Remy Charlip, Trisha Brown, and Peter Campus. In 1981, “Frames of Reference” was packaged and offered to PBS, during what is known as “flex time” and was broadcast by WGBH, WNET (New York), and WGBY (Springfield, Mass.). “Frames of Reference” ended as a series ca. 1983, because of a lack of funding. Series release date: 1978
- Program Description
In "Cityscape," choreographed by Talley Beatty, dancers from the Dance Company from the National Center for African-American Artists, costumed in brightly suspendered skirts and pants, perform a series of lively traveling phrases on paved surfaces. The piece is shot from an angle that emphasizes diagonals. This work was created by the Workshop with the WGBH series "Say Brother" and broadcast as a segment in the "Frames of Reference" dance showcase "A Place to Dance."
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Modern dance
- Film and Television
- Barbara Barrow (Producer)
- Barrow-Murray, Barbara (Producer)
- Richardson, Kim ()
- Brown, Ann ()
- Beatty, Talley ()
- Dance Company from the National Center for African-American Artists ()
- Saunders, Keith ()
- Bradlove, Joella ()
- Grey, Paul ()
- Wheelock, Lewis ()
- Chicago: “Frames of Reference; Cityscape,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 9, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B44CE0DF20FA4ABCB479B0858FF79F84.
- MLA: “Frames of Reference; Cityscape.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 9, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B44CE0DF20FA4ABCB479B0858FF79F84>.
- APA: Frames of Reference; Cityscape. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B44CE0DF20FA4ABCB479B0858FF79F84