New Television; New Television, Episode 407; Roseland Recollections
Part of New Television Workshop.
Two female dancers perform a duet in a lush outdoor garden setting. The dance uses techniques of unison and partnering. Often one figure is seen in the foreground. A voiceover provides evocative and mysterious text, which seems at times to relate to the movements being performed. The Roseland referenced in the title was a famous New York ballroom. Cate Deicher is the choreographer. The uncredited music is orchestral ballroom music. Approximate date: 1988
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 407
- Program Number
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Includes Dennis Darmek’s “Roseland Recollections,” Gaby Agis and Bob Bentley’s “Free Fall,” Burt Barr’s “Trisha and Carmen,” and Myriam Alaux’s “Criss X Cross.”
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Czizek, Jennifer
- Darmek, Dennis
- Modern dance
- Deicher, Cate
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 407; Roseland Recollections,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed July 12, 2020, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B265C5AD874A40BB99C732A66F0B2DBB.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 407; Roseland Recollections.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. July 12, 2020. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B265C5AD874A40BB99C732A66F0B2DBB>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 407; Roseland Recollections. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_B265C5AD874A40BB99C732A66F0B2DBB