War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Soviet Union to Resume Nuclear Testing
Part of War and Peace in the Nuclear Age.
Press conference concerning the Soviet Union's decision to end the unilateral moratorium on nuclear testing it began on August 6, 1985. In a statement, Deputy Minister for Foreign Affairs of the USSR, Vladimir Petrovsky, announced that the Soviet Union will resume testing in 1987 if the U.S. conducts another nuclear test, and called for further negotiations. The panel also included Chairman for the State Committee for the Utilization of Atomic Energy of the Soviet Union, Andranik Petrosyants; Vice President of the National Academy of Sciences of the USSR, Evgeny Velikhov; and Chief of Directorate General Staff of the Armed Forces of the USSR, Col. Gen. Nikolai F. Chervov. Petrovsky's statement is followed by questions addressed to the panel. Also discussed is the decision to allow nuclear physicist and dissident Andrei Sakharov to return to Moscow after six years of internal exile in Gorky, and the pardoning of his wife, human rights activist Yelena Bonner. Questions and answers are mainly in Russian with simultaneous translation in English.
- War and Peace in the Nuclear Age
Soviet Union to Resume Nuclear Testing
- Series Description
The first atomic explosion in the New Mexico desert on July 16, 1945, changed the world forever. This series chronicles these changes and the history of a new era. It traces the development of nuclear weapons, the evolution of nuclear strategy, and the politics of a world with the power to destroy itself.
In thirteen one-hour programs that combine historic footage and recent interviews with key American, Soviet, and European participants, the nuclear age unfolds: the origin and evolution of nuclear weapons; the people of the past who have shaped the events of the present; the ideas and issues that political leaders, scientists, and the public at large must confront, and the prospects for the future. Nuclear Age highlights the profound changes in contemporary thinking imposed by the advent of nuclear weapons. Series release date: 1/1989
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Bonner, Elena, 1923-2011
- Nuclear weapons
- Strategic Defense Initiative
- Soviet Union
- Sakharov, Andrei, 1921-1989
- Cold War
- Nuclear arms control
- Moscow, USSR
- Global Affairs
- War and Conflict
- Chervov, N. F. (Panelist)
- Petrovskii, Vladimir Fedorovich (Panelist)
- Petrosyants, A. M. (Andranik Melkonovich), 1906- (Panelist)
- Velikhov, E. P. (Panelist)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Soviet Union to Resume Nuclear Testing,” 12/19/1986, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 7, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A6738126F5D54209862A97C48B248AD0.
- MLA: “War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Soviet Union to Resume Nuclear Testing.” 12/19/1986. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 7, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A6738126F5D54209862A97C48B248AD0>.
- APA: War and Peace in the Nuclear Age; Soviet Union to Resume Nuclear Testing. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_A6738126F5D54209862A97C48B248AD0