Advocates; Should the Federal Trade Commission Ban Advertising on Children's Television?
Part of The Advocates.
Moderator: Marilyn Berger Advocate: Nicholas Johnson Advocate: Edwin Diamond Witnesses: Tracy Westen - Bureau of Consumer Protection, Federal Trade Commission Joan Gussow - Chair, Program in Nutrition, Columbia University Richard Jencks - Media Consultant, Ex-President CBS Broadcast Group Lee Loevinger - Former Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission Produced by WGBH at Faneuil Hall.
More material may be available from this program at the WGBH Archives. If you are a researcher interested in accessing the collection at WGBH, please email email@example.com.
- Should the Federal Trade Commission Ban Advertising on Children's Television?
- Program Number
- Series Description
A SERIES OF DEBATES with a moderator facilitating the discussion of national and international issues - using advocates who would introduce witnesses to support their point of view. Debates recorded at Boston's Faneuil Hall. Moderators included: Michael Dukakis; Marilyn Berger; Michael Harrington, Robert Maynard. (Premiered October, 1969; conceived by Prof. Roger Fisher.) Other participants included Barney Frank, Avi Nelson, Antonin Scalia, S.I. Hayakawa, Paul Simon, Albert Shankar, Richard Bolling, Pete McCloskey, Chester Crocker, John Anderson, Elmo Zumwalt, George Ball, John Kenneth Galbraith, William Colby, Eleanor Smeal, Phyllis Schlafly, Sam Ervin, Laurence Tribe, Daniel Schorr, Orrin Hatch, Morris Udall, Edward Kennedy, George McGovern, Jake Garn, Paul Tsongas, Alan Dershowitz. Series release date: 1969
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Gussow, Joan Dye
- Loevinger, Lee
- Westen, Tracy
- Jencks, Richard
- Action for Children's Television
- Diamond, Edwin
- Johnson, Nicholas, 1934-
- Television commercials
- Berger, Marilyn
- Television advertising and children
- United States. Federal Trade Commission.
- Boston, MA
- Social Issues
- Public Affairs
- Johnson, Nicholas, 1934- (Guest)
- Westen, Tracy (Guest)
- Loevinger, Lee (Guest)
- Berger, Marilyn (Moderator)
- Diamond, Edwin (Guest)
- Gussow, Joan Dye (Guest)
- Jencks, Richard (Guest)
- Publication Information
- Supported by a grant from the Open Society Foundations.
- Chicago: “Advocates; Should the Federal Trade Commission Ban Advertising on Children's Television?,” 05/25/1978, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 18, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_840A55CA58B648A58B2041C50494862B.
- MLA: “Advocates; Should the Federal Trade Commission Ban Advertising on Children's Television?.” 05/25/1978. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 18, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_840A55CA58B648A58B2041C50494862B>.
- APA: Advocates; Should the Federal Trade Commission Ban Advertising on Children's Television?. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_840A55CA58B648A58B2041C50494862B