American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian James Brewer Stewart, 1 of 5
Part of John Brown's Holy War Interviews.
Stewart talks about Bible - annotated, scripture explains life, Land - as a commodity, compares to futures market, Bankruptcy - panic of 1837, bankrupt US economy, Bankruptcy/1837 - John Brown a typical story, Garrison - threatening to whites/Abolitionists peaceful, Personality - great speakers mixed w/middle class - not John Brown, Professional Reformer - John Brown was not, had to earn a living, John Brown searching for stability, too preoccupied for abolitionism, Personality - charisma, intimate, skills of a man on fire, Failure/Success - talented at selling inner soul, not wool
- American Experience
- John Brown's Holy War
- Program Number
Interview with historian James Brewer Stewart, 1 of 5
- Series Description
As television's longest-running, most-watched history series, American Experience brings to life the incredible characters and epic stories that helped form this nation. Now in its eighteenth season, the series has produced over 180 programs and garnered every major broadcast award.
- Program Description
Martyr, madman, murderer, hero: John Brown remains one of history's most controversial and misunderstood figures. In the 1850s, he and his ragtag guerrilla group embarked on a righteous crusade against slavery that was based on religious faith -- yet carried out with shocking violence. His execution at Harpers Ferry sparked a chain of events that led to the Civil War.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Robert Kenner (Producer)
- Stewart, James Brewer (Interviewee)
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Rights Summary
Rights Holder: WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian James Brewer Stewart, 1 of 5,” 2000, WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed September 18, 2019, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_73BD1F528155421C910D48C2B4E40209.
- MLA: “American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian James Brewer Stewart, 1 of 5.” 2000. WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. September 18, 2019. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_73BD1F528155421C910D48C2B4E40209>.
- APA: American Experience; John Brown's Holy War; Interview with historian James Brewer Stewart, 1 of 5. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_73BD1F528155421C910D48C2B4E40209