Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks II, Lucille Clifton; Lucille Clifton reads Turning
Part of New Television Workshop.
Emmy award-winning poet, Lucille Clifton, introduces and reads her poem, "Turning," about trying to be your own person and taking responsibility for your life. Approximate date: 1993
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- Poetry Breaks
- Poetry Breaks II, Lucille Clifton
Lucille Clifton reads Turning
- Series Description
2-5 minute filler programs with New England area writers reading their poetry. Poets include Martin Espada, Galway Kinnell, Sharon Olds. Series release date: 1988
- Program Description
Lucille Clifton introduces and reads her poems. The following poems were edited for broadcast and general distribution, and appear on the master tapes with and without "Poetry Breaks" logo and copyright: “The Lesson of Falling Leaves” "Spring Song" "let there be new flowering in the fields..." “The Lost Baby Poem” “This Morning” “Turning” “Homage to My Hips” “In the inner city...” "In My Thirty-Eighth Year"
Multiple takes of these poems appear on the source tapes of original footage, along with Clifton's answers to the following questions: What is poetry to you? Where do your ideas come from? What’s a poet’s life like? Selected answers were incorporated into the schools and libraries version.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Poetry reading
- Oral interpretation of poetry
- Clifton, Lucille, 1936-2010
- Performance in a Studio
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks II, Lucille Clifton; Lucille Clifton reads Turning,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed June 25, 2017, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_69EA2B8797C844D9A4A934FBA9B80B0C.
- MLA: “Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks II, Lucille Clifton; Lucille Clifton reads Turning.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. June 25, 2017. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_69EA2B8797C844D9A4A934FBA9B80B0C>.
- APA: Poetry Breaks; Poetry Breaks II, Lucille Clifton; Lucille Clifton reads Turning. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_69EA2B8797C844D9A4A934FBA9B80B0C