New Television; New Television, Episode 603; Changing Steps
Part of New Television Workshop.
Changing Steps consists of solos, duets, trios, and quartets that can be performed in any order. The completed video work shows Cunningham's company of the 1980's staging the piece in the interior and exterior of a dance studio and in a more formal stage setting. The exterior of the studio blends into the natural environment, where a babbling stream passes by. Approximate date: 1989
Untranscribed item: Request Transcription
- New Television
- New Television, Episode 603
- Program Number
- Series Description
"New Television" began as a local pilot production of WNET (New York) in 1986. In 1987, WGBH signed on as co-producer, and the shows were aired in Boston and New York. In 1988 and 1989, KCET (Los Angeles) and WETA (D.C.) became producers in association. In 1991, PBS picked up "New Television," and it was broadcast nationally. The following year, the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, Ohio, replaced WNET, WETA, and KCET as co-producer with WGBH. In 1993, WGBH ceased to be a co-producer for the series, and the "home base" moved to Connecticut Public Television (CPTV) in Hartford, CT.
"New Television" commissioned, produced, and acquired programming. In its early years, "New Television" broadcast works commissioned by The Contemporary Art Television (CAT) Fund. Increasingly, experimental films as well as video works were broadcast as a part of this series. Many of the later episodes of "New Television" contain works that play with and deconstruct the documentary genre. Series release date: 1986
- Program Description
Features “Changing Steps” by Elliot Caplan and Merce Cunningham.
- Asset Type
- Media Type
- Cunningham, Merce
- Modern dance
- Caplan, Elliot
- Film and Television
- Publication Information
- WGBH Educational Foundation
- Chicago: “New Television; New Television, Episode 603; Changing Steps,” WGBH Media Library & Archives, accessed December 9, 2016, http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5790E0BE721D44ED93BB9D5C33A8EDC0.
- MLA: “New Television; New Television, Episode 603; Changing Steps.” WGBH Media Library & Archives. Web. December 9, 2016. <http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5790E0BE721D44ED93BB9D5C33A8EDC0>.
- APA: New Television; New Television, Episode 603; Changing Steps. Boston, MA: WGBH Media Library & Archives. Retrieved from http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_5790E0BE721D44ED93BB9D5C33A8EDC0